Friday, June 6, 2008

Fearless Crow

From a foot away she regarded me

Cocking her head side to side

Beady black eyeball facing me at all times

Shifting her weight from leg to leg

Closer I came and still she remained

Whether I moved forward or back the crow did not fly


I put down my groceries on the sidewalk

Covered in the shadows of old oak trees

To talk with this befuddling bird


One night I dreamed my mother had passed

I was alone and cold

With her had gone all the warmth of the world

Primal remembrance of the sauna in the womb


Perhaps this is why women carry children

To the welcoming light of the earth

The rounded swell at the end of the curve

Where the stem meets the branch


Forever until the tree blooms in color

A season and direction for a leaf

Compelling forces of the fall

Gravity and love


They say space and time explode outward from a point

As territory grows the clock hand circles

Creating is said to take time


This center point lacking both size and time

Is this where the fall ends and begins

Where I and the crow wait?

© 2008 Audri Phillips

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bodacious. Provokes the 2nd time this weekend I've felt like a peach.

Anonymous said...

I hate the crows
They are the bullies of the skies.
When I was growing up here 50 years ago
There were no crows.
They've arrived since,
They've beaten and bullied the smaller birds
driven them out, taken their food
downed out their pretty songs with ear splitting squawks.
They move like gangs of robbers through the trees ignoring the property lines and fences below.
They scream at each other relentlessly,
Crowing about this, crowing about that.
until I wonder what it's all about.
Are they shouting orders at each other or making demands or arguing or bragging about something,
A family dispute?
Gang style macho challenges among black birds?
It's a black bird's bravado and it's rattling my ears, burning my brain
and my arteries to harden.
When I'm just seeking peace in my garden,
I looked into obtaining a small air rifle but learned they're illegal in my neighbourhood.
I must coexist with the crows,
even though I got here first.
So I hate the crows.