Saturday, March 15, 2008

A Yogurt's Life

Arriving home from work

Wasted

I am defeated by the yogurt I forgot to refrigerate

Sitting spoiled on the table

French Vanilla untasted


Once gleaming proud on the factory line


Market surveyed

Carefully heat sealed

Certified and dated


Does my yogurt mourn

Lost potential


My sleek cat brushes my leg

Chasing a lizard brought in


I am defeated by the email photo from a traveling friend

A squalid market place

White chickens alive

Packed unmovable tight in a crate

A cat sits by licking its paws


I am defeated by the lizards tail

Found on the floor like a green pebbly licorice


My traveling friend calls

Informant of the bigger picture

Back from the earth's other side

Home of folded yogis quiet


The message

The poor there seem happy


When is acceptance resignation

What is a state of grace


If I worked at a car factory

I would bless each piece on the assembly line

Hoping the car imbued with love

Would make an owner happy

That their travels would be safe


I find The tailless green lizard

Crouched still behind the bench

Head cocked to the side

Alive and waiting


© 2008 Audri phillips

3 comments:

Chris said...

A Yogis Wife

Arriving home from New York
The Yogi is tired
Where is my food?
The Yogurt expired

I am deflated by the yogurt
The yogurt tried
I broke my promise to eat it
I'm the one who lied

It's wasted potential a crime against food itself
And the capitalist machine that brought it to me

Once gleaming proud on the factory line
Market tested, can't be bested
Hermetically sealed
with sex appeal
crated and dated
price inflated
marketed throughout the lands
untouched by human hands

Sitting spoiled on the table
Oh Lord why was I unable
to eat a yogurt by it's time
Shirley admitted her serious crime

The French Vanilla
Has gone un-tasted
I so yearn to join it
I wanna get wasted

The moral dilemma
Of food and life
of killing French Vanilla
It's with anguish I'm rife

For how is this waste
this needless little death
any different from the lizard ghost
that my cat plays with

Critters come in all sizes
some big and some small
But my little yogurt cup
holds the most of all

With billions of organisms
In each little cup
Is it proper to eat some
Is it ghosts I hiccup?

My heart aches so much now
Is my yogurt stillborn?
Woe it's lost potential
in my perfect storm

I am deflated by the e-mail from Nigeria
THE KING NEEDS SOME MONEY
but I am numb in my couch,
Doesn't that sound funny to you?

I'm deflated by the Lizards Tail
Maybe I could send it through the mail
to the Nigerian King
What would he make of such a thing?

The tail lay on the floor
like a green pebbly licorice
Where It just might get used
For my cat to get nourished

The Yogi's wife has message
The poor people are happier
Than people with money
they dress snappier
but their lives are crappier

When is acceptance resignation?
When a state of grace
Puts too much on your plate
Is when I will accept your resignation

If I worked at a car factory
I would kiss each piece on the assembly line
Knowing that each car imbued with my spit
Would make no difference in their experience of that car
but would make me happy knowing my DNA traveled with them

Anonymous said...

Your voice here is a searching, a crushed vine emerging from beneath a fallen tree, growing through light and darkness. Your back-to-back questions -- when is acceptance resignation? what is a state of grace? -- are your genius, and the double helix driving this poem. I am stunned and stimulated at the coupling of those 2 Qs, and see them abiding in the lizard, alive and waiting. What a tension in her repose! I can see her head's stop-action shifts, as she listens. And you make me wonder: is grace the countersign of "potential"? (Anyway, aside from my weird ruminations, I just moan over the way you use subtle, non-obvious questions, almost koans, in your poetry.)

Anonymous said...

I love this more with each reading. One of the best poems ever, by anybody.

May I strongly suggest the stanza about the car belongs in another poem? Try replacing it with an image from your phoning friend ‘s travels, something he describes over the phone, something he saw which supports his message that the poor seem happy. (If the friend didn’t actually provide this, make it up.) This picture would counterbalance his defeating postcard, so that when when you find the lizard, alive and waiting, it will contrast more vividly with the tail that had defeated you.

m|t